How to charge car battery – Change or remove?
How to change or charge car batterie. Batteries, as the ADAC breakdown statistics have just again clearly shown, are a weak point and the cause of many annoying incidents. Especially in home office times, when there is little driving, it can sometimes come to a breakdown. A professional explains what drivers can do about it. “If the battery is in good condition, there is no reason to worry,” assures Ulrich Germann, technical training manager at battery manufacturer Clarios, whose Varta brand is the market leader in Europe. “When people are on vacation, for example, it’s not unusual for a vehicle not to be used for a few weeks,” explains Germann.
European battery standard stipulates – charge car battery
The European battery standard stipulates that the batteries must be designed for this and must function normally again after a few weeks of inactivity. Germann: “The discharge of a battery in good condition is less than three percent per month. It only becomes critical below a state of charge of 12.4 volts.” The fact is: More and more electrical consumers are putting a strain on the battery even when the vehicle is inactive. This is because some of them must remain on standby, such as the alarm system and keyless entry systems. The problem: According to Clarios statistics, 34 percent of the batteries tested in Europe are no longer in good condition. Germann therefore gives simple tips on how to keep the battery in the best possible state of charge:
What to do?
- – If the vehicle is parked for a long period of time, the doors and the trunk should be locked. The car then switches to sleep mode and the power consumption of all electrical consumers is reduced to an absolute minimum.
- – The doors and boot should only be opened when really necessary. This activates the electrical consumers, which then consume plenty of power before returning to sleep mode.
- – Keep the battery dry and clean because dirt and moisture between the poles cause creeping currents and accelerate the discharge of the battery.
- – If the vehicle is only used for short journeys, the number of consumers should be reduced while driving. Germann: “Turn off the radio, use the electric window opener and the electric sunroof as little as possible and use the air conditioner only at a low setting.
- – Even if a battery is easily accessible, it’s better to charge it than to remove it. Electronic systems in newer cars can cause error messages and data can be lost if the power supply is interrupted.
Final conclusion – How to change or long life battery
As a general rule, the expert recommends that older batteries in particular should be regularly checked in a workshop, especially if the vehicle has not been moved for a long time. Varta partners offer this service free of charge. I hope we could give you a good idea how to change or charge car battery.